Friday, November 16, 2007

Goodbye Roseau!

Today was one of the best days I have had here in Dominica. You might remember when I made my first donation to Princess Margaret Hospital for the neonatal ventilator early in the year. Well, since then - alot more fundraisers and such with RFDH (Ross' Foundation for Dominican Health) and we have been able to make another! This time we delivered two pulse oximeters and a neonatal incubator.

Last time a donation was made, it was very quick. Just a quick "handing over" of the equipment and we were back on the hour drive to campus. This time? SO DIFFERENT! It was a big deal. I am so glad that in my time running the foundation I was able to have an awesome E-board! We had about 7 of us go to the hospital along with our faculty advisor, dean and much other faculty and staff of PMH! It was so great. Not only that - but there was media there for Dominica! The presentation was going to be broadcasted all over the island! Everyone on the E-board that went had a great time and I am so glad. There is nothing more that I want from this than for those I worked with to feel like that really made a difference and I think this experience will stay with them for a very long time. It has been so nice to be in all the extracurriculars that I have been in and have them pay off as much as they did. But in RFDH's case, it has so much more meaning. It is nice knowing that I didn't just come here to Dominica to study but that the donations we have made can really be put to use to save lives and help in the health care here. Just to leave a little bit of our work back here makes me feel like I made a difference.

Not to toot my own horn but without taking over the foundation after the two girls had founded it - RFDH would not exist. Kinda makes me feel good knowing that. I always have the feeling that "Well, if I didn't do it - someone else would have.", which isn't true for this. Sure, someone might have done another club like it years later, but no one else knew about RFDH after that semester and it was up to me to keep it going. I am just so glad I did and got to work with so many of my classmates. It was just so nice to be recognized for the hard work we are all putting into the foundation because it really means so much to us all.

I am so happy that I was able to record everything with the camcorder my Mom left so that will be a nice memory to have. But alas, once all the fun was over and my time with RFDH pretty much had come to an end - we had to leave PMH and the city of Roseau for the last time. Next up will be leaving Portsmouth and the island forever... in just 27 days! It can't come soon enough...

No comments: