Saturday, October 21, 2006

Sooooooooooooooooo excited!

Wow, this morning was great! So this meeting that I went to wasn't even a club. It was just an idea! But what an idea and I am so excited. This idea was so fresh that we (only 4 people showed up) thought of its name. Our focus is on Dominica and how to improve their healthcare. Hense, say hello to the Dominican Health Foundation! We still have to talk to Dr. Grell to get it approved but who wouldn't approve this?

I am so excited for what we can do for this country and not just for Portsmouth/Picard where the university is. So we are meeting again next week. I feel so great now! I am in now 5 clubs and hold postitions in at least two right now: SGA (student government), AMSA (med student association), OLAS (latin american club), PHR (physicians for human rights), and Dominican Health Foundation! I don't know why but I was aiming for 5 for my first semester. I want to be involved but I think I have a great balance. I have clubs where I can benefit like OLAS and AMSA by just having fun and learning new medical procedures/techniques, while also helping others! I better pass with flying colors here because I am just beyond excited about this!

So after this meeting I went to a review. Wow, it was suppose to be an hour, turned into 3! But it was a fantastic review so I am glad I went - thanks for inviting me Sana!!! Our leader-guy is unreal. He is only a 2nd semester but not only does he do his own work, he watches 1st semesters lectures, makes reviews, tutors, etc.!!! How does he have the time? But he gave me a great idea for next semester to not really tutor so much as to stay with the 1st semester and their lectures. After next semester I have to take my first shelf exam (this exam is an exam put on by the National Board of Medical Examiners NBME) and I must pass in order to be "promoted" to my 2nd year of medical school. But this method would be a fantasic way to prepare!

So, I think I will do that. I am also done with packets now. On the week - its all about the lectures - weekend explaining it to people, myself, imaginary people - whoever! I finally realized that reviewing only takes you so far - the surface. You can spit out the facts but questions never come this way. They come from 5 angles at once and you have to pick out everything that they are saying, go back and recall each of these 5 factors/topics and connect everything together (connecting histology to physiology to anatomy to get a diagnosis). It is so thrilling to being asked ACTUAL medical questions and "Patient presents with..." PATIENT PRESENTS WITH! Hahaha, even that excited me.

Okay, I need to calm down. Matt is getting so fresh and so clean then we are going to make "breakfast" (1:30pm) then we are going to talk it all out!!! I never thought that I would get attached here as much as I am. It is hard to explain because I don't want to give the impression that I don't miss home - that's a given and I still cry about that. But I am going to miss it here when it is time to leave. 16 months here - that's it. Already down to under 14 months to go - how crazy is that?

All my love to the family and ttown crew!

Jessica

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually you say you have to pass your shelf exams to go to 2nd year (i.e., 3rd semester). I think you need to calm down. You are misguided and you do not have all the facts about Ross and the curriculum. Maybe if you weren't so excited about every waking second on this shithole of an island, you would know that you do not have to pass any shelf exam to be promoted--they are merely about 15% of your 2nd semester average, so about 8% of your grade for a particular class. You only need to pass the comprehensive shelf in order to take the USMLE at the end of fourth semester.

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to that negative person...keep being excited about school and learning and LIFE and ignore those who will try to bring you down! :-)

Anonymous said...

You know son, you may want to pull that stick from out of your butt there. You seem a little uptight for someone who wants to be a doctor. Have u thought about proctology? At least that way you can work with your peers..... If you think she said something wrong, or even is misguided, then fine - tell he -but that is not the way to phrase it! Please get some class.