Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Determination

Well, it is 1:30am and I am still up studying. Not really an often thing for me to do, but I just have alot that I wanted to get done so I figured - why not? Haha. I just sad outside on the balcony for about 10 minutes to watch the sky. Not storming but there is the heat lighting going on. With my view you have an awesome sight of this lighting just lighting up the Caribbean Sea. So beautiful.

Finishing up reviewing 7 hours of neurophysiology lecture. Woopie! But I am ready to finish this week. Monday and today were hard, long days but I got through it alright. We had dissection today, only 3 left for me this semester! Today was the anterior and medial thigh. 5 hour long dissection. Yikes. But I think my group, as always, does a great job. I am really lucky to have such a great group.

The rest of this week shouldn't be too bad. Just classes and studying mostly. This Friday I will have a meeting with PHR (Physicians for Human Rights). They were hoping people might want to come out for a cause in the Congo in Africa. Here is a small part of what I was sent, in case you are curious:

"The Panzi clinic in the Bukavu region of DROC is set up to treat the medical needs of women who have lost everything. They have treated girls as young as two to women in their eighties, offering a variety of surgical, pharmacological and mental services. While nothing can extinguish the emotional pain that must be endured, the physical needs of such patients are met to the degree that the hospital is able. Of course, such an endeavor is only made possible by generous contributions. This is where RUSM PHR can create a tangible difference! I have found a group of medical students in Canada who, like us, are committed to the practice of medicine in the light of basic human rights. The Canadian Students for Medial Reform, has started a project that they have entitled SAFER (Social Aid For the Elimination of Rape). Through this project they are in constant communication with the Panzi clinic and have been able to raise money for sutures and other medical supplies that are desperately needed. Our collaboration with this group is an exciting prospect and they are waiting to hear if RUSM will answer the call the help PANZI."

This might sound a little dumb, but after watching an episode of ER (Ma, you know about this), there was one about the horrific issues going on in the Congo. Those episodes in a small way opened my eyes and have been interested in it ever since. Well after coming to hear about this cause I thought it would be a good starting point to getting a better understanding. So this Friday I will be attending that meeting to see what could possibly be done.

I am really watching not to overdo it with extra things besides studying but sometimes I just can't help it! This is all such a great experience though.

Well, kind of a boring, serious post but I am going finish up my work tonight and get some rest. Tomorrow is yet another day :-D!!!

I love you guys and am starting to feel the end coming for the semester! Miss you more than words!!!

Jessica

P.S. I just saw the countdown on this blogpage and just got so happy!!! Sooooo soon!

No comments: