Monday, October 09, 2006

Overwhelmed. Yes, it finally happened.

Mini is over. Jessica is unhappy.

Coming out of that test felt like coming out of the MCAT - both times. Since we know what that turned out like you can expect how I did on this test. Maybe I am overreacting. But wow, this test was nothing but detail, nothing like the practice exams, nothing like I expected.

I don't even know how to change my studying from here. I tried to make it out of the exam without talking to anyone but that, of course, didn't work. Everyone is talking about how they need to get studying and stop having fun. What do I do? I already don't have fun and have worked harder than I ever have in my life. I even thought I changed my studying very well. I guess I should wait until I get my scores back.

I talked to the president of OLAS, Vanessa about it. She was really nice to talk to me about it. The class average will become the MPS - minimum passing score. If you get this you are 'good'. If you get higher that is great. If the average was a 60% - yeah - pretty hard to pat myself on the back if I get the average. Wanting to get As doesn't seem that easy. Well I didn't expect it to be, but I thought with all my hard work I could swing it.

Leaving the exam I even though about what if I failed and I had to come home. I thought about packing. Doing poorly on this exam doesn't mean that I can't do well in the class but it is such a blow to my confidence.

I don't even know how everyone else did. I want to think if I wasn't happy mostly everyone isn't but there are people here that just have that 'thing' that get them to do well on these things. Maybe medicine was a bad choice in terms of finding a career where I wouldn't have to worry about my test taking strategies lol.

So, I came home did a million situps, squats, pushups anything to wear me out a little. About to hop in the shower then relax for most of the day until tonight when I am somehow and somewhere going to find motivation to work towards mini #2. The OLAS boat party got cancelled due to the weather so I guess I won't be leaving the apartment to help with checking people in there. I guess that is good because I need time to myself. I don't think I will even talk about this with the roomies. Sorry guys if you are reading this but unless you feel as bad as me (even if so) I probably won't be talking much tonight.

Alright enough wallowing in my own pity - haven't even gotten the scores back. I guess that is a reason to be positive but false hope to me is just as hard to deal with as bad news.

Sorry for not being my optimistic self. Hoping for some good news so I can get back to how I was about 5 hours ago. Without it, it is going to be pretty hard to trudge on and feel like I can make it through here successfully.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for a miracle,
Jessica

P.S. Alright, one smile... :) Love ya'll.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi jessica =) I've been reading ur blog since your first day at ross. I'm in for the january class and I'm excited and nervous.

Your blog helps me to get an idea of Ross and Dominica.

Don't worry for what is over... As long as you have done your best, you can only focus on the future.

Take care! You can do it! =)

Anonymous said...

My 4th (and last) Anatomy/Histo/Embryo exam is next Monday; we do the entire course in 10 weeks. The first exam was a "wake up call" for a lot of students. Scores ranged from 42 to 97 (we need a 70 to pass). I've made A's all my life, but struggle incredibly to maintain a B now. I've changed my method of studying at least 4 times so far. A lot of things that worked in undergrad just don't work anymore because of the amount of the material. Just keep in mind that you are not alone. It is "normal" to feel like you are always behind, or even like you are lost sometimes. This is a long process. If, when you get your grade back, you're not satisfied with it, talk to some people who did better and ask them how they did it. Your classmates can be your best source of information in this. Take some of the best ideas and try them out the next time. Don't worry; you'll be fine. Good Luck!!! :)