Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Ultimate Coundown - Single Digits!

Today marks the day that after all this time - 475 days - I am finally down to the single digits! 9 days from today I will be packed up and eagerly awaiting my taxi after my mini exam! So great to think about! Everyday my smile just gets bigger and bigger!!! Alot of people in my class are taking the COMP exam here and so they won't be leaving until about a week or more after me but that is yet another reason why I am glad I am waiting to take it until January!

These past couple weeks I have really been working on setting up my rotations at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. Nothing is promised although my dream is to get my entire 3rd year there! After many, MANY emails I have finally got the paperwork filled out, sent to be signed organized by our clinical offices in New Jersey and sent off to the Medical Education Department at the hospital! The only issue I now have to face is timing. I have put in to begin my rotations on July 1st, 2008 (soooo excited!). The problem lies in that while the clinical department approves my rotations, I cannot begin them without my passing Step 1 USMLE score. My plan was take my Step in the first week of June but traditionally the May-July time is the busiest. Most students take their exam during this time. So while I might have passed, I will not get my scores back for approximately 6 weeks. If I want to start on July 1st, I will have to take my Step much earlier - possibly the beginning of May. I am curious as to if it will be smart of me to make this sort of move.

After I get my Shelf exams back and especially my COMP exam, I will know better of where I stand. If a student passes the COMP they are very likely to receive a passing score on the USMLE Step 1 exam as well. So, while I want to know the answers now, it looks like it is a wait and see. If I could take it in May and do well - of course I would love to do that! So much is up in the air, even if I pass I still need to hear back from Henry Ford to make sure they will let me in to rotate as they already have spots secured for Wayne State and UofM students right now. So let's all cross our fingers!

Getting back into what is going on now - the path shelf was fine. I thought it wasn't bad at all. Of course, somehow I tend to do average on them. Hopefully my 4th semester shelf exams will be better than my 2nd. Next up is my pharm shelf tomorrow at 8am. Then just 3 more to go and I am home-free! Micro will probably be my last big challenge with the time restraint. The time I have for my ICM shelf and mini exam is much greater than the 5 before it - so I am going to be able to really put in some solid work for those which makes me relieved. I am really hoping to leave with a GPA that I find acceptable - so doing well on this last mini would really solidify that (at least I hope!).

I'm just so glad that I am going to be home so soon! A week from Saturday and I will be back in Michigan and it will be the best homecoming of my life! So clear your schedules everyone for Saturday the 15th! I'm sure it will be a fun night!!!

No comments: