Saturday, June 02, 2007

Second year is underway...

I think I finally have figured out what was going wrong with my blog. My password never worked and everytime I put in for a reset or reminder it never went through. Well, I finally have it reset and I believe we are good to go. Moving past that, let's get caught up!

Second year is amazing. I last left you mostly at the end of my first year when I was taking my SHELF exams. Well, as you can see for me being here today, I have passed and made it to my second year of medical school! Vacation was so wonderful too! Those couple weeks back home are always priceless and just the motivation I need to keep pushing onward. From my last quickie post you can see that I have a new house! I honestly have never been happier in my life. Tony and I have now been together for some time now and I can't imagine my life without him. He keeps me grounded and more importantly SO happy. His support while I am down here is unbelievable. I don't know many guys that would wait 16 months for a girl to come back home to be with - but he's such a blessing. Going on 10 months on the island and nearly 6 to go - so we are getting there baby! We are really excited about this starter house (shouldn't even call it that - its a beautiful, solid house!) and finally getting some time together! I love him so much :)!

So... second year. Much, much, MUCH different than first! All of you guys just starting, thinking about applying and working through 1st year - IT GET SOOOO MUCH BETTER! As far as I am from making solid diagnosis or prescribing drugs for others, each day I am feeling more and more like I am morphing into a doctor. Last year's classes are so different than this years! Now I am taking Microbiology/Immunology (as one class), Introductory to Clinical Medicine, Pathology and Pharmacology. What a difference - and I thought what we learned last year was a bit clinical - now it is 300x that! :D I am loving every minute of it (well okay, not EVERY minute - but more loving than hating ;)). I have just finished week #4 of my second year. Week #5 is nearing and the first mini is a week from Monday! So time is just speeding along! It's amazing.

For those who are thinking of coming down here - while you will never believe me until you get down here - time DOES fly. I thought it just as much for the last two semester as I do now, if not more. It IS worth it! With nearly 6 months to go I find myself more and more excited to finally be getting back to the States soon! As I was leaving Michigan for 1st semester I was SO sad - I can't tell you how much I cried - but it was all so I could live my dream. Well, I still find myself crying here and there but I think this was one of the BEST decisions I have EVER made. Hoping for a smooth road as I continue on but as clinicals are just around the corner so are the problems I am sure! But no time for complaining and whining - I'm proactive and will always make the best of it and do what I need to do to get back home and start my life back up in Michigan.

With the mini so close and the stacks upon stacks of information in front of me to jam into my brain, I have been pulling some late days lately. Last year I studied alot but not like this year. This is insane work but slightly addicting I find it lately. How late can I stay up tonight? Do I want to spring for that extra cup of joe so I can get through 5 more packets? Haha, it's true. Especially the past few days I have been doing 7:30am-about 1am the next morning. I am determined to rock this mini - or at the very least bust my butt trying!

Pretty soon I will be closing up shop and heading over to Fusion for a couple late-night drinkies to "pat myself on the back" for a some hard work in. But back to it again tomorrow! It never quits - but then again medicine doesn't either and frankly would lose my interest if it did.

I hope that there are still people that read this. I realize that my blog has been at a stand-still for a while but I believe the problems are over and I am back :) Also, the comment section is back up and running so we will try that again too! Take care everyone and I'll talk to you tomorrow!

Jessica Attard
MSII

No comments: