Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Overly frustrated...

Well today was just - UGH! I don't know what it is, but sometimes days just get to you here. I'm sure this is the same anywhere but I swear I just couldn't take campus today. Everything frustrated me, mostly the people. No offense to those reading (which are my friends anyway, so you should know I'm not talking about you) but I'm just so sick of trying to study and I just have to deal with so much random stuff or conversations that annoy the crap out of me. Today I had someone I know in class bug me about files I had. I was nice enough to give a real helpful one but then while I was in my email looking to print off flyers for my foundation (Pass the Bucket is next week), he was like "Oh what's this file? What's that file? Can I have this? Is it helpful? Why is it helpful?" Oh my gosh! STOP!

There are two things that have got me irritated today: those who can't do there own work and those that honestly don't seem to belong in their second year of medical school.

I know this post must sound harsh, but it is true. I hesitate to use specific times and people but I will at least say I just don't know how some people pass. "What is the cause of epigastric pain?" says my prof. We go through the differential and everyone either isn't participating or is stumped. After GERD, peptic ulcers, etc - of course I say pancreatitis. The professor agrees and right after that someone says "Pancreatitis!" Umm, okay wow. Just said that. Don't act like it is your idea (which this has happened so many times!). Then there are those that act like they know the answers to everything but in all actuality have no idea what they are talking about and try to weasel their way out of it by making up some ridiculous reasoning, e.g. why stress causes ulcers or whyoxygen is so important (alright that last one was made up out of sarcasm) Okay, okay I'm being unfair - I don't know every single basic questions either but I mean for one, we learned these basic things a LONG time ago and second if I don't know a question to which I am already supposed to - I don't waste my classmates and professor's time by asking. I look it up before I embarrass myself. I guess my point is, that there are just some people I don't see how they passed.

I am also so frustrated by the lack of "street smarts" I see some students have. Sure, they can be book smart but when I am around trying to have a basic conversation, see their interactions for behavioral with patients or really their whole personality - I just don't see how some can cut the mustard. I mean they will pass but in clinicals? How will they survive? I guess butt-kissing might get them far (which I though I would finally leave behind in high-school but that is still around ad-nauseum). Note to future med students - patients aren't scary!!!! They aren't dumb either. I already see it lightly. In interviews, "Have you had any previous blood transfusions?" "No.", the patient says. "Well, you just told me you had two surgeries so you must have had transfusions." Umm okay, WHAT? Were you listening to her? Wouldn't you think she would know if she has had transfusions? But of course because EVERY operation requires transfusions... and of course for the fact you are a second year medical student - hey - it's practically a doctor, close enough right? Again, we are still so young in our studies I should not be so critical. Just from time to time things get to me and I guess it builds up.

I'm not saying I am a perfect candidate for being a physician. I have plenty work to do as well. This is just my rant I guess and just meant as nothing more then to vent. The mini is just a few days away and I am at my wits end here on this island and I want off! Ah well 6 days more then I get a break. Don't mean to upset anyone because now I feel better lol. But I just hope that those that leave this December with me from 4th semester are a group that I can be proud to be a part of. Don't get me wrong like 95% of the class this is true for - just those select few that always put a cramp in my day.

Sigh, okay more books for me. I'll talk to you all later.

No comments: