Monday, June 04, 2007

My first patient history...

Yet another milestone to add onto my educational experience!

So we get started and I walk up and sit down next to her saying, "Hi, my name is Jessica and I am a second-year medical student and I am here to just take your history if that is alright." "Yes, okay." she says. Crap why couldn't she say no! No you can't take my history - get out! Okay :) and I'll just zooom on out of there :P

I actually was not nervous at all today like I thought I would be. At first I was trying to memorize all the questions to ask a patient but as it was approaching I realized - dude, just have a conversation. Lord knows I know how to do that - I love people!!! So I walked in today and met my patient M.L. who was very sweet. I was so glad I could understand her accent too. We get to talking about her demographics, then her problem that brought her in today to see me. A couple months ago she fell and had trauma to the back of her head and since then has been having contant headaches even with the medication she had been given by her previous physician. After that we got into her past medical history, family and social history and finally a review of systems.

Everything went real smooth with of course a few bumps along the way. She seemed to be receptive to my smile and cheerful attitude even though I was trying hard not to be too perky or anything like that. I did forget a few things but not too much! She said that comdoms "scratched" her (alot of history taking here is learning their own words for symptoms - e.g. instead of having "diabetes" they have "sugar"). But I didn't ask the type she used, even though most problems tend to be latex allergies. Also, she had to remind me to talk about the number of partners she has had. But all and all I think I did well. This will be my case write up for the semester for sure for the final exam.

Afterward, I went up to my professor as well as the patient to get their opinion on how I did. The professor was pleased and I think mostly he was impressed by how comfortable I made the patient by sitting at her level, not being intimidating, making lots of eye-contact and so on. To me - I never thought about that - it's just how I am! So that made me happy. I knew my cheery bedside manner would pay off someday :P M.L., who has participated in these groups before also told me that she thought I did well - and that made me happy too. She has seen alot of students go through this so it gave me some confidence - thanks M.L.!

But now it is time to get back to the books. It is going to be a long night of studying - the mini is less than a week away! I just have to keep thinking about coming home in 8 days and push on! I can do it, right?

Well off I go, but I will write again soon!

No comments: