Thursday, June 07, 2007

Race to the finish line...

It's Thursday night and I am sitting in my usual spot in Classroom 5, doing everything I can to push myself until the mini. I'm exhausted but motivated still. I know I am leaving for home in five days and I can't wait. Not only have I been busting my hump with school but also with the organizations on campus I am running. After the mini on Monday, I am putting together a boat party for OLAS or a "booze cruise" lol. It should be fun but man - parties are exhausting to plan! Ah well, at least something to look forward to!

With all this studying over the last 10 months, I think one of the worst things you can do as a medical student is worry about other people, in the sense of how well their studying is going. Have they read the book? Did they do all the suggested questions? How long have they been on campus? Then you worry about the volume of material and who seems like they have mastered it and who doesn't. Maybe it is just me but in everyone's own way, you think about how well others are doing, and while you don't wish any ill will, are wondering whether you are just a step above them or below...

It isn't so bad now for me but it was. With the mini coming up and watching people pack up and leave campus to go home for the night at 8pm I wonder how they can possibly be done! So much to do and so little time to do it - especially in such an accelerated program. Is there something I am doing wrong to where I can't be finished as quick as them? Well, it is all about mind games in medical school too - actually in any kind of school. In my opinion, when I see others leave early I think of them going home and watching tv and nothing more. Then I think of how much more I will be ahead of them if I can just "gut" this out! So that is what I am doing now. So for all of you getting ready to come down here - get your mindset into these kind of mind-games. It works! When it comes time for the mini, give yourself all the goodies and energy drinks you want if it will make you happy - you are giving up so much by coming down here - treat yourself for working so hard and you mind will thank you and allow you to push yourself harder... Speaking of which this cappacino is really good - mmmmmmm.

Well, more pathology questions to do but I will most likely be alone in classroom 5 pretty soon so I may write again before I go home tonight - whenever that is! Love, love, love! :)

1 comment:

bellocielo said...

SO TRUEEEEEEEEEEE :)