Wednesday, August 30, 2006

It's raining, it's pouring!

Wow, holy rain today! LOL. Wow, I love this weather! I just got done with orientation so now I just have to wait till classes start. Didn't do too much today otherwise, since it is 1:30pm, so Sana and I are going to start studying here in a little bit. I just wanted to spit out a blog first. It is so funny being in the annex (where 1st semester students have classes/orientation). It is a new building and the bathrooms aren't up yet. Sooo, we have to use port-a-pottys lol until they are up. Since it was pouring outside you would see a bunch of us (including me) running out the back in the wet grass/mud to get to these bathrooms. These stories are so funny yet "what the heck am I doing" vibe.

But yeah, it has been raining basically all day. Finally got my room pretty much all set up too. Could use a few "homey" touches but I'll get to that eventually. Wierd sleeping by myself tonight, always had my mom before! But it was a good night of sleep and I just woke up, took a shower and headed over to a place called Dee's. It is a nice fruitstand in front of the campus. So I just pick up my breakfast from there! :-)

Found out this girl I met Lynn has finally gotten her luggage! (Thought Mom would like to hear that!) Where is Sana's?!? Hopefully it gets here soon. She has a crush on this one "mystery" guy. We have seen him everyday and she just won't talk to him! She talks to everyone else though, lol! She was all ready to talk to him today but she didn't see him. Ah well, maybe tomorrow.

We had a great lecture at orientation too about all the food on the island, how to eat it, cook with it, etc. Pretty cool. There is so much food here that is totally healthy to eat just like in the States. I swear if people in the US ate like here in Dominica, the whole heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes issues would be out the door. Everything is fresh here. I had fresh chicken breast grilled today with awesome beans and veggie salad. It was almost one of the best things I have ever tasted. I can already tell I am going to miss the food here whenever I come home (8 week breaks, semester breaks - home for good!!!). Anyway, I am hoping to get some recipes so I can cook with some of this stuff, because it is so cheap! Even my meal today - which was really generous portions was only $15EC or $5.61US!

Well, I will maybe write later on today but I am gonna run to the bathroom and hit a book or two.

Love ya'll *HUG*
XOXO

Jess

No comments: