Tuesday, August 29, 2006

First Day of Orientation!

Welp, went to my first day of orientation today. Not too bad. You could tell that it really got everyone excited to get this education going. I think everyone is getting sick of walking around this place and just wants to start studying - I know I do!

Today, my mom left. Sucked. I know I am going to miss her and everyone even more because that was my only link left back to home. But today did actually go alright. Had TONS of errands. I thought I was done?!? Ugh. I had to go to my landlord's store, James Store, and plead with him to make our internet work and let me into the room I was waiting on. This girl I was waiting on has gotten on my last nerve. I asked her to simply switch my keys (for the vacant room) with hers so I could start to move it. Yea, she wouldn't do it. GRRRR! Anyway, after talking to James he offered to open the room with a skeleton key and make me my own set. SO I HAVE MY ROOM NOW! I can't wait to move in tonight!!! There was a mistake on my travelers checks so James had his daughter who works for him (his whole family works for him lol) take me to the bank. It was closed and I'll deal with it in a snap tomorrow, but it was great! After orientation we had lunch and then were expected back for a quick last thing and a tour of Portsmouth. Me and Sana skipped it, lol. But Jolianna, James' daughter ended up taking us everywhere in Portsmouth! It was a great tour. Saw a woman out front barbequing plantanes (bananas, but they call it that). But wow, I thought where Ross was, was poor. This seemed even more. It was surprising but nice to see what is out there in Dominica.

We got some great homemade ice cream (too expensive to ship) and it was SOOO good. Loved it. We eventually made our way back. Had to do a couple more things (my key didn't work, so I needed to get more made). Our internet might be up tonight. I saw the Internet guy in Portsmouth and Jolianna told him to go to my apartment. So hopefully he does tonight. Then I can use my internet, webcam, and all that stuff... It is hard not to have it. I am just chillin' waiting for the last thing of orientation tonight - BBQ! Prolly won't stay too long because I am dying to set up my room!


Oh yea, we got a third roommate Afshan, I think is how you spell it. Never really met her before but I am sure it will work out. Me and Sana are already talking about weighing ourselves after a few weeks. I don't eat NEARLY as much as I usually do - can you believe that?!? Today, I had a banana for breakfast, eggwhite omlette with cheese and veggies for lunch, and like a 1/2 cup of ice cream (which is the first sweets I have had here). Yep, that's it. Then just about 2 liters of water. I guess I might eat a little at the BBQ but I am really not that hungry. Strange how the heat takes away your appetite.

We have more orientation is tomorrow but not as much as today. Thursday and Friday are kinda easy days... Just registering, which takes little to no time, and a movie around 7pm if you want to go. So those two days I will definately be starting to study! Just about time! Saturday I think that me and Sana along with a girl we just met Riddhi are going to Roseau, the capital to buy some fruits and veggies! All fresh at like 6am! Gonna be early but fun. Then prolly back to the books, hopefully.

That's pretty much what is going on now. Just more adjusting. Prolly won't be fully adjusted for another few weeks, but I'm trying. I will write again soon - and I miss you all more than words.

Keep in touch, makes my day!

Love, Jess

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica! I came across your blog and found it very helpful. I will be attending Ross starting May 2009 and I would like to ask you a few things about finding roommates and housing. And also get some advice from you in terms of getting through the whole thing! :) My email is alexis_x_kwong@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Good info! BTW Plantains (not a fruit) are different from bananas