Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Getting through this with Him by my side...

Another rainy day here in Dominica and studying in my aparment for a change. As things are drawing closer to an end I am finding a little more flexibility in studying. Just seems like there is more time but I hope I am just going to still use it wisely. Getting a little nervous for my exam tomorrow because I really want to nail it and don't want to get nervous like I did before. So, I studied a bit today and will still do that a little here and there but I really just want to prepare for tomorrow. So I am going to work on that and start organizing for my final exam in a few weeks :) Just do little things that aren't hardcore studying but still get some work done at the same time.

Though all of this though - since I have been here and especially this semester though - I have had to rely on such a higher power helping me out along the way. While I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for the semester, I can't help but think about this whole semester and how I have gotten through it. I had prayed here and there before but it has become such a second nature here to do that just because I feel like I need Him and Mary now more than ever. This semester has been the hardest yet here mentally and without having prayer I don't think I would have made it through, at least as well as I think I will do.

His "divine intervention" into my life isn't just in how I feel inside but how much I know that it's done though the people in my life too. I could never be here and make it through all this without everyone at home pushing me on and just simply telling me that everything will be alright and that they will love me no matter what happens. Sounds silly, but really you forget that "hey - they actually WILL love me no matter what" - and things then don't seem so horrible. Being in such a remote area you forget so many obvious things like that - and especially that you are not alone. Sure there are tons of people here doing the same thing and truly the island is not a bad place to live at all - but as anyone would say - it's not home.

I find myself turning on someone like Joel Osteen just to watch one of his sermons sometimes (that guy is so great!) and just taking time for myself at the gym or something to bring me back to "center", because it is so easy to lose that. I am so close to coming home again and to look back on all I have done here makes me realize how much I have grown and how the things that I am most looking forward to in life and getting so much closer - like moving home, starting rotations, enjoying the new house, getting engaged - and gasp - becoming a doctor! Hard to believe that a year ago I still was at home waiting to leave for the island, but here I am now only about 4.5 months away from leaving here with two years deep in my medical education! It's a crazy feeling like it almost isn't real.

I just thank God for so much that I can even begin to write about but have to admit that because of Him and his blessing in my life like my family and friends I will finish these last few months here strong and make this Christmas definitely a "Merry" one! :) Aaaaamen! ;)

No comments: