Saturday, March 03, 2007

Interesting day yesterday...

Yesterday was a different kind of day. While I studied and did my usual stuff I had my first trial. As some of you know, I have been an honor council rep for the past now two semesters and we have always been in the shadows. Well yesterday after 6 semesters we finally had a case to hear out. While I am not going to get into it any specifics it had to do with conduct unbecoming a physician - which is a violation of the school's code. This trial took 3 whole hours. An hour for each party and an hour deliberation. It was so strange knowing that I had some power over another students medical career. Our decision as the honor council committee, as told by our own dean, has always been supported by the administration even if they disagreed. We could go as far as to say he was not guilty or to the other extreme to expell him from medical school, which in no doubt would end his career elsewhere as well.

In the end of it we created out own unique idea of how to handle things. Speaking generally, we ended up giving this person probation until his time here in Dominica was over - multiple semesters. We also agreed to put a letter in his file which can later be removed by our Dean of Student Affairs (who is also a psychologist) if she decides he has done things to better himself in his remaining time here. Otherwise, the letter remains permanent in his file. Lastly, any other complaint or violation is to be enough for him to come before us again and most likely be dismissed from Ross. It was a different kind of punishment but I think good for all parties concerned. Overall, I think our committee did very well. It was just strange policing our own. Who was I to take his future away? Once this person came in defense, it hit me what a big deal it really was.

But again, in the end I think it worked out well for all and finally this committee is back in action again. So yea, it was an interesting day - and I hope that this happens very seldom for the rest of my time here because while it was interesting it really wasn't that pleasant.

As for today, study study study. I am okay on focusing but I am just a but worried about our exams coming up so I hope I get enough down to make myself feel better.

Anyway, better get back to it. I will talk to you all soon! Have a great weekend!

Love,
Jess

1 comment:

Ross Student said...

It sounds like you didn't really make any decision at all. Putting this person on probation basically means you don't know what to do so you're not going to do anything. You are just hoping someone else will deal with the problem. Sometimes in life you need to be decisive, especially in the career you're choosing.