Monday, April 13, 2009

*~Spring has sprung!~*

Guess who? Yes, I know I haven't been around in a long while. Lately this has been a hard thing to remedy. Like I always say, after my day is done it is hard to go back and relive the whole day so I had started to forget to write. Maybe that has been my problem too because my bitterness as of late has increased. So much has happened though since I have last written and all I intend to write about. First of all surgery is over!!! I had gotten through my last week with my second surgeon and could not wait for it to end. He gave me some constructive criticism for my last day, shook my hand and went on his way. I ran in the completely opposite direction, haha! See ya! I must say that my month with him was the hardest month in medical school for me. I have always been dreading my surgery rotation and for the exact reason for the month of February! I learned though - mostly to speak with confidence more and get thicker skin. Since that month has ended our program has our last month in the ER.

Let me tell you that I went in that month scared to ask a single question or to do anything wrong. I was like a neglected puppy that was placed in a new warm and educationally encouraging environment, and I felt... relief! I felt like I could be myself and actually enjoy being a student again. This was the whole month of March and I had 10 shifts of 10 hours. Shifts were either 6am-4pm, 1pm-11pm or 10pm-8am. The ER was full of encouragement and praise on my end. I felt like I went from being the stupidest student on earth to... well, someone that could actually pass as a physician next spring! For those looking for a great rotation before USMLE Step 2 CS - do ER! (Yes, in my absence from this blog I have taken my CS - don't worry I will talk about it too!!!) The ER gave me so much autonomy - freedom to take the reins of my own clinical experience. I was able to do my own H&Ps, differentials, workups (granted it was the resident ordering the tests but I was always asked what my differential was and what tests I would like to order). You guys - that's CS right there. A perfect month of preparation! :) That being said, if I fail my exam, my story will change. Since I just took this exam recently, I will save that for another entry but all in all it felt good and dare I say - kinda fun!

So, what is on my plate now? I just went home for two weeks after my surgery rotation completed and spent it planning the wedding, enjoying my time with family and friends and of course getting yet another glimpse of what life will be like in a matter of weeks (not months anymore!) when I move home for ever after with my Tony and puppy Maggie. Soon my time of travel will be over. No more island, no more living out of a suitcase in a hotel or a one-person apartment. Yes folks, after nearing 3 years I officially feel like my dues are paid and it is time to pick up where I left off. The summer will be spent in Detroit, which is very close to my home and I can only wish that I make a great enough impression to hopefully get the opportunity to interview there and obtain a residency! I can't wait. My homecoming has been long awaited and the emotions that I am sure will come over me will be something I have never seen. I appreciate all the opportunities that I have been given and the blessings I have had for being this close, but the time has come and I am at my limit for what my career is worth - and it calls for home... Having this without my family and friends is just less worth it as of late and it cannot come at a more perfect time. When I am home and working - it is the best of both worlds. To come home to my fiance and puppy (just turned a year old, so I guess not a puppy anymore right? :)), is just the best feeling ever. Knowing I can be with them all night long and go to work the next day only to return right back will be the best blessing ever after being through all I have these past years.

As for now, I have returned this morning to Saginaw to begin my radiology rotation which will be two weeks long. I really believe that this rotation is so valuable to any student. While they aren't the most stimulating days, maybe that is what I need now since I am kinda "checked out". After this on April 24th, I start my pediatric rotation which ends June 5th - the last day in Saginaw! I am sure I will be writing more as my countdown quickens and I just can't contain myself anymore! Well, I am sure I have some holes in my stories and have more to talk about but I will get to it soon. Today my day was 8am-3:30pm and with all that time I should have ample time to blog, hmm? :) I'm gonna read and relax but I will catch you all soon.

No comments: