Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Draggin' & Doubt...

Well radiology is over and it was a nice relaxing two weeks compared to the worst I have seen. While I saw the appeal as in every specialty, I know it isn't for me. Lately in fact, I wonder if anything is for me... While these past months have been stressful, I can't help but reflect back over the last time I was truly happy with medicine. Honestly, the last time I could think of was January, my trauma surgery month. Even though it was so very busy, it has been rough since it seems. Surely you all know of my infamous countdown to come home in about 5 weeks for good and I am truly hoping this is the reason for my lack of interest in what I am doing.

I find myself not as eager to study, to see patients or even to drive to the hospital! The best way I can explain it is - remember if you didn't want to go somewhere but your mom made you go, kickin' and screaming? Yeah that is me, except it is kinda in my head. I wake up thinking, "I don't want to go in at all" while I am getting ready. I get in my car and say to myself while I am driving into the hospital "Just turn the car around or better yet hit the highway home!" I am kicking and screaming in my head yet I am constantly forcing myself into each day. It sounds terrible I know... I have definitely hit some low points and constant thoughts of doubt. If this is how it is going to be, should I do this? Is it only because I am so SO fed up with being away from home? Could it just be the constant stress of presenting patients and getting critiqued by every preceptor - not because you aren't doing it the right way but you aren't doing it THEIR way? There are so many things bothing me as of late that overall, well, I truly feel like I have lost my passion... and I can't find it.

What happened to me? I used to be so invigorated by it all... Sigh, I'm not saying I am quitting or anything. I really don't think there is a way out even if I wanted. I mean it is so much easier said than done. What am I just going to NOT show up for clinicals tomorrow and drive home only to realize I am nearing $200K in debt? Oh no problem, I can work that off in - psh - well whatever other career I would choose would go off to paying off my $200K mistake. Ok, so obviously I have thought of it... I just keep wondering it is because I am away that I am feeling this way. I felt so good rotating at home and being able to live my life. Maybe that is what is missing? Maybe then I'll get that passion back? Okay, let's think positive and say that will happen. I run into another issue... Say I make it through this crazy last year and actually obtain my M.D. degree, lol. I still am not sure what specialty I would want.

Truth or dare: Truth. What specialties have lingered in my mind for more than 10 seconds? IM, OB/GYN, FM and to a lesser extent ER. Why? Don't get me wrong, I loved my month in it but something gets to me everytime I hear an ambulance or when we'd have to take care of a drunk moron for driving his snowmobile into a tree at 3am. I know it must sound so cruel but I don't want to spend my days taking care of people that don't minimally take care of themselves. Yes, you could make that argument with IM or FM for people not managing their hypertension or diabetes but to me that is different at least. So ok, what to do now with my final 3? Well, I truly love them all but I decided to look into where residents do their curriculum rotations. To be truthful (and I think that I will mean this more when I find that passion again lol) IM is the best. They get the IM floor, cardiology, respiratory, heme/onc, pulmonary, GI and so much more that all strike my interest. FM has many of the same rotations but it seems in shorter amounts of time. Sigh, so much to choose from but I think I know the direction I am bound to take. Just ready to know for sure!

No comments: