Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Finding a balance?

I'm troubled tonight thinking of what is to become of my life. To me, I know it will be everything I ever wanted and perfect. I will be a wife, mother and physician just to name a few...

I guess what has got me thinking more is just planning my final year and learning from the experiences of others. Tomorrow begins my attempt at securing more rotation spots to finish up medical school and it is completely exhausting to worry about finding places near home. Nothing else I can really comment on that now but I will keep you posted on how things go in that regard. Though tonight I watched a show on NOVA, "Doctor's Diaries". All were great physicians, all dedicated and all seemingly consumed by work. The men physician would get divorced or have wives that would stay home with the children and the women physicians would have no social life at all.

So two ends of the spectrum. My life as like the rest of the world will be indeed wonderful but not perfect. On the other side, I am not looking to be consumed by this career. I love it so much but there is point that I an not looking to cross. I know eventually, sometime in my career -years after residency ends - I will not be looking for a full-time job (in med terms, what like 60ish hours?). Whatever it is, I know I want to be there for my children. While I know I won't be able to be a full time stay-at-home mom, but I have no interest in sacrificing that aspect of my life for medicine. Reading that back to myself it sounded kind of harsh but what does that mean? Why do I feel like this awful person for not feeling different? Truthfully, when I am set in my career I feel fine about that statement. It is just this stupid 4th year I have to plan that is making this so difficult. I have the option of staying in Saginaw for the rest of my education - to have it all planned out and set for graduation. Yet, I am opting for making it more difficult on myself and planning it on my own to be near home. On the one hand I think I am an idiot. On the other, I think it is long overdue and I should do what is in my heart. Head vs. heart is what we have going on here people... The eternal battle. Wait no, that is good and evil... anyway...

Just what am I to do. At this point, it is April and I still have some time to figure this out. Hopefully some luck will strike me and I can work closer to home. The thing of it is, I just don't miss being around home - I am physically starting to feel it. Mentally, oh please that has been around for what probably is years, for which I have slapped myself out of many, MANY times. I am honestly physically feeling sick when I leave home. As I have told my own mother, my heart literally aches everytime as I begin my drive away from my home. It's just like, exactly like, I am just leaving a part of me there and without that piece I cannot fully engage myself in the tasks that are at hand. Again, on the one hand I feel so good having this thought, because I know my upcoming wedding is just so right, it is that piece of comfort and peace that I will have in my life forever. On the other hand, I want to yell at myself for not being tougher and sticking through this like other students - as I am not the only one to have sacrificed for this path chosen. All the years I have worked, I feel like wanting that comfort and peace is giving up or wrong. Again, in my eyes this is just another case of head vs. heart.

I am not expecting to come to a conclusion tonight. Haha, even if I wanted to - it wouldn't happen anyway. All I know is maybe I just need to ingore them both and go with another alternative - my gut. Tonight? My gut is telling me to start listening to my heart and pray. The rest will fall into place... at least I hope for that and maybe in my own heart my life will become maybe not a perfect life to all - but the perfect life for me.

1 comment:

bellocielo said...

ur blog entry and my blog entries have the same sound lately.. missing home and wondering about the sacrifices, etc etc.. it's neverending :) hang in there, jess! u've been brave and strong.. a little bit more.