Friday, October 31, 2008

The Ups and Downs...

Rotations, at least for me are so love-hate. Some times of the day you are just soooo excited and others you can't WAIT to get out of the hospital. It is so back and forth sometimes, it becomes mentally draining. I am now half done with my OB/GYN rotation and surely think this is a rotation I will miss. It has been more than busy and always keeping me moving! My last call is this Sunday from 8am until midnight, which I have beeen dreading but since it is my last one - it's best just to push through it and be done. Next up is ENT 4th year elective! That's right! My dear, dear friend Anna is a miracle worker and is the only reason I got such an opportunity - I LOVE YOU! I will be doing two week of ENT from December 1st-12th (perfectly fitting between Thanksgiving and Christmas, wink wink. Doing this really will help in the end when I wished I took the extra time I had an used it do finish off some weeks of elective rotations - might as well start now. I figure the sooner I start chippin' away at 4th year (sounds weird to say that!) the sooner my Tony and I can go on our honeymoon!!! So much to do, oy. That being said, I thought it would be fun to try to explain just some my ups and downers of clinical years thus far - ENJOY!

Upper: being an "upper classman" in the medical school world.

Downer: more responsibility and can't just a take a day off or sleep in because you feel like it, ah the joys of years one and two!

Upper: In OB particulary, doing one of your first SVEs (sterile vaginal examination) and having your attending agree with you on your assessment of the cervix! 1/50%/-3 (means 1cm dilated, 50% effacement or thickness/length of the cervix to palpation (which an actual measurement might be nice to get as well) and -3 means the baby is still wayyyyy up there and not yet decended - see you can learn from me too!)

Downer: actually a literal one is passing out in the OR... Yes, it happened to me this past Thursday and it was mighty embarrassing but very funny now. I was supporting the uterus in a laproscopic procedure - long story short - big OR light on the back of my head for over an hour + little to no food in my system + sweats + rebreathing my own CO2 with hyperventilating = BAM. Luckily I didn't contaminate anything but myself and I got a cookie out of the deal! God bless the nurses and scrub techs! :)

Upper: the feeling you get after participating in a case, be it retracting for the first time or later being allowed to even do part of the actual procedure! On my first GYN surgery I was able to make the first incision on a hysterectomy case (mighty straight I might add, lol) have been able to deliver the placenta, do countless SVEs and speculum exams, abdominal stapling, yes retraction (woo., haha), even two days ago was able to use the curette in a D&C and work with the hysterscope, ultrasound and anatomy scans and much much more. Oh yeah, can't forget those lovely H&Ps.

Downer: the constant (constant) stress of trying to impress people, be it by bringing up the right questions and not just dumb ones, getting questions right (big one) asking "Would you like me to do that H&P for you?" (when in your head you are like - say no, say no!!!! hahaha) or truthfully just staying awake.

Upper: still being a student where making mistakes (albeit gross ones) are generally allowed. This is the time to get things wrong so you will remember it later and have it forever ingrained in you to do it right from then on!

Anyhoo - just a few of the ups and downs I have come across... I'm sure there will be more to mention as time goes on, but as for now - it is time to get some rest! Goodnight!!!

No comments: