Monday, October 20, 2008

Still here - and trying to hold on...

Things are slowly getting better but it is really still day to day for me. Luckly, one week of OB/GYN down and things are going very, very well. I really didn't think I would, but I have taken quite a liking to this specialty. This rotation begins with two weeks of clinic, then two weeks of GYN surgery, then 2 weeks of OB L&D (labor and delivery). This week now is the last week of my clinic days and I am shocked how fast it went by. I still have 3.5 days left but I can't believe how much I have learned in this short of time. I definitely feel that my money is being well spent on this rotation. The days are long, most days being 6am-5pm but with so much to do and learn, it flies. I have done quite a bit of speculum exam, which I am getting more comfortable with now. It is so odd but for some reason the cervix just falls into place for me with the plastic spec. The metal ones? Not as good of luck, lol so wierd. Anyhoo, I have gotten to do plenty of those, bimanuals and even have been starting to do ultrasounds and fetal anatomy scans! Even today I had the privilage of being part of telling a patient she was having a boy. It was pretty neat.

We have 4 days of being on-call but they are only until midnight and not an overnight shift, so that is nice. My first night on call was really great. There were two deliveries and of course, both happening at the same time. I was in on a Cesarian section (C/S) when one of my residents (1st year) was paged out of it for another patient's vaginal delivery. With my other resident (3rd year) and the attending were busy delivering the baby and placenta, then beginning to close, I offered to take over for my resident paged out in assisting with the surgery. On my first delivery I was able to retract (cool now but I bet in surgery, 5 hours of that will be annoying haha), cut sutures and even staple the whole abdomen! One thing I really feel is that the OB/GYN staff here at Synergy are really dedicated to teaching. You can just tell that they love to take the time and I appreciate that. My patient is still in the hospital so I round on her everyday after her surgery for morning report at 7am. Residents round at 6:30am so I am sure to round and write my SOAP note before they come around. Then I present a short 10 second summary about her in morning report and once it's over, I head to my morning clinic assignment. Everyday at lunch is lecture then it is off to our afternoon clinic assignment. No time off for the day but when you are learning so much and have such eager faculty, it is hard to complain.

My next call is this Wednesday then it is downhill until the weekend when I get to finally go home. I was unable to go home last weekend due to my call on Friday night (17+ hour day) until midnight, so I was blessed to have Tony come up to see me. I can't say enough how much that meant. It was nice to not have to leave home on Sunday (even though I miss my Mags) as that is just the absolute worst time for me each week. Driving away makes me cry everytime and for the first time I was okay on a Sunday. Last week was probably the worst I have been - even worse than the island and was pretty worrisome but I am trying to take it a day at a time so I don't get back to that place. Looking at the whole road ahead it seems is overwhelming and as much as I want to look to the finish line, I know it is a ways away. I just need to take one mile marker at a time... Sigh. Just hoping I can continue to hold it together...

Anyway, I am going to relax a bit more before turning in. Another day awaits...

1 comment:

bellocielo said...

wow! telling someone she has a boy must be one of the coolest feelings in the world :)