Saturday, April 12, 2008

Feeling burnt...

This weekend, while semi-productive thus far, has left me feeling extremely burnt out. One week out from the COMP and I am just beat. Luckily, I know myself and that I will kick it into a high gear until the test but boy - I am getting mighty tired and ready for a break. Alot of my friends are out for my friends' Bachelor/Bachelorette parties - I wish I was there! I know it is good study-wise that I stayed here but I hate missing events, especially when it is as big as this! This is the first couple in our giant group of friends that are getting married! 2 weeks from today! So excited for them!!! Unless anyone gets engaged soon, I think Tony and I are next in line for next year! YAYYY! :) This summer will be the summer of wedding planning!

Anyhoo - I've been asked about how I feel on the new USMLE testing that is supposedly going to happen in the future. Basically instead of taking Step 1, 2, 3. It will be Pretty much 1&2 combined at the end of the third year and then take Step 3. I honestly don't know a ton about it but from my understanding, it doesn't seem like a great solution. I think being tested before entering clinicals is a great way to prepare students for their rotations. Without Step 1 before, I can see students slacking a bit more and just cramming at the very end. Clinicals expects you to know the pathophysiologies behind diseases - they don't reteach you what you should have learned in the classroom. In that aspect, I can see the good in being tested prior to third year. What benefit do students get by bypassing this exam?

Most importantly though, I do not see it being helpful to IMG/FMG medical students. The Step score is really what separates students from each other and is a level playing field for us all. Without the Step scores (as there were talks of making it Pass/Fail), I believe it would make things even harder for us and put yet another obstacle in our way. How will they distinguish the students for applying for special rotations or residency? What if a Ross student with a 230 Step and a US student with a 210 applied for a spot. Both would say "Pass" and my guess is that the US student would be taken above the other. It sucks because as of right now, our Step score is pretty much the the only major thing that we have going for us. It seems competition for us to stay at the same level in our applications would be more difficult. Seeing a "P", there is no way to tell if it was a 185 or a 240! Truth be told, I am not sure how Step 2 scores are ranked. I don't know if they will just use those scores or what, but overall I am not seeing a reason to fix what isn't broken - at least to me. I am not quite sure what brought about this thought for change...

Oy... I really think things are fine the way they are but that's just my opinion. As of right now though, I am about to get back to lovely hematology/oncology and work on until that exam 10 days from now... I can't wait for it to be over but more importantly to get that passing score!

1 comment:

DocDH said...

Best of luck on the Comp! You'll do amazing=D