Friday, March 12, 2010

It's the Final Countownnnnn! (by Europe, lol)

It is official, there is one month left of medical school! I have just finished my anesthesia rotation of two weeks and am now on a little mini vacation for the next 10 days to celebrate St. Paddy's Day and of course, Match Day 2010! First off, anesthesia was really awesome. As compared to my pulmonary and GI months, which were all consult months, anesthesia was much different than anything I've done lately. Even back when I was in my surgery rotation over a year ago (wow...) I had always wondered what was going on behind those sheets with all those monitors and such.

For one thing, I actually was able to SIT through a Whipple procedure this time, haha. But really, it was great to learn the ins and outs of how they work and felt I got way more than 2 weeks worth of knowledge. While the organization for the rotation was a bit lacking, I was able to work with one particular resident at least 4-5 times who was extremely talented at teaching students and especially relating it to the field in which they were interested. For me, he tried to relate anesthesia to medicine, in particular to the ICU and vent management. Of course, there was teaching on general anesthesia too as is done in surgery. The days were not too long, except for those days when they had 6:30am lecture, lol. My days ended almost always between 3 and 3:30pm, though most students got out much earlier.

I was able to do multiple intubations though and definitely became more comfortable with them. and LMAs as well. Mostly though it was just taking in all the knowledge that the residents could offer. On my last day, I was able to leave around 1pm and was so happy. I was able to take my mom out to lunch one last time and thank the medical education department for allowing me to come and rotate there as Ross is not an affiliated hospital. After, I walked out the doors of Henry Ford Hospital after a near 10 month experience. On the shuttle back to my car, I looked back thinking whether or not I would return this coming July for my residency...

...Yes, it all comes down to this week! Match Week! What is in store for this week? Well, Monday 3/15/10: we all find out IF we matched. This is what we might see though email or our NRMP website:

1. Congratulations, you have matched! *YAY*
2. We are sorry, you did not match to any position. (...Boo...)
3. You are NOT matched because you did not submit a certified rank order list. (Submitted one so doesn't apply to me, but man if you missed the deadline - that would suuuuuuck!)
4. You are NOT matched because you are withdrawn. (Not withdrawn, doesn't apply)

Also, there are a couple more for preliminary applicants, those who did not apply categorical position...

Supposedly, this day opens up the Scramble as well, which is literally - a scramble
- for open spots in different programs nationwide. Giving homage to 3/17 - St. Paddy's Day! Yes folks, due to be a sloppy mess but great times with friends! Finally, Thursday 3/18 is Match Day, where we all find out WHERE we matched. Our school kinda goes with the flow of other schools, depending on where you are rotating. If the affiliated school as a luncheon or something, our students tend to tag along and follow their tradition. Me? I was able to get this week off to celebrate on my own without the hooplah of being around other students. I just wanted to take this time for myself and be with family and friends for this week of my life. I am sure however it works out, I will be happy with it but just in case, I want them around me :P...

So, the week is near upon us and I am not nervous at all - just merely starting to get anxious. I go on studentdoctor.net alot for some advice or to vent and also valuemd.com (better for IMGs) and I cannot believe how scared and nervous they are. Maybe it is just me but I am happy with all the places I ranked and granted, while I might be a tad disappointed where I end up - I will know it was meant for a reason. I don't see how worrying and stressing these last days does anything. In my opinion, what's done is done - there is no changing it once our rank list was submitted. It is in God's hands and best just to cut loose and enjoy life as best you can!

In light of this, that is what I am about to do - off to Malarkey's with my friends to have some good times! More to come soon enough... :)

No comments: