Sunday, March 09, 2008

For those interested...

Hi all! Sorry for my lack of posts but between my tiredness and how busy I have been - yeah, I have been slacking. But things are going well. Our weeks are flying by here and I can't believe the end of next month I actually get a summer break! Gasp! What is a summer break? I forgot! Anyway, as for my studying I have been busting my butt to finish my Kaplan lectures for the past 5 weeks. I am proud to say that I am a week away from being done! This week however I am taking a break to study as much as I can over the notes I have made in my First Aid book to get ready for my practice COMP exam I will be taking on Saturday. After that, my studying continues and probably won't take another practice exam for another couple of weeks.

While I do have alot to talk about my own personal experiences here in Saginaw, I wanted to dedicate this post to those wondering about how the program has been working here. So here it goes....

As for us, Mondays are full days of class 9am-5pm. The lectures are good and are held here at the Ramada Inn. These lectures are a good review but with out feedback may become more clinical as what we are being told most days is basic and we feel we are ready to go beyond. Tuesdays sometimes we have class 9am-noon but other weeks we might not have anything. Wednesdays also are study days for the USMLE. While it might seem wonderful that there is time off - these days are stictly spent to study - so use them!!! Some weeks you might have a peds or psych rotation to do but for us it is only 3 weeks out of the semester. Thursdays are spent at the nursing home in Midland where we spend probably 8am-4pm doing examinations on residents. It is quite nice as the teachers there are doctors and NPs who pick out specific people to find pathologies on. For example, we have had Parkinson's patients, demential, carotid bruits, peripheral vascular disease, basal cell carcinoma, COPD, etc. We still have many organ systems to go which I am sure we will be seeing many more cases. We also do practice SOAP notes as well, which most of you are probably groaning at. The difference here is that we are being trained to do it the clinical way not how the island taught us. In this way, we really feel like we are stepping into the clinical realm and merging into how we need to be. It isn't about having every part of the H&P complete (say when your patient has a specific pathology but you still must do a full physical exam on systems that are not relevant). We are also graded by the faculty here in Michigan and our midterm is actually on Wednesday so we will see how that goes!

Finally, Fridays we have class usually 9am-noon as well. Schedules are subject to change and you need to be flexible! Weekends are open but if you must leave (which they encourage you not to) tell administration as soon as possible to avoid being penalized! As far as scheduling, that is about it! Everyone is so nice here and it has been a great experience so far! We are all looking forward to applying for the rotation program this fall and would love to spend more time with this great facility!

I know alot of people have been messaging me and I apologize for the lateness of this blog's info as well as my attention to their questions! I can say though, that the people here are truly dedicated to make this experience one that will be a great step in moving from the classroom setting into the clinical arena. Every week I am feeling more and more prepared - be it from my time to study for my Step or from my clinical experince as well. I hope this has helped a bit to those wondering what 5th is like here! Let me know if you have more questions! The next class to come through will probably have a different schedule based on the feedback we give and the new ideas that come as well! I can whole-heartedly say that I am happy to be here!

Sorry for all the delay, but I will write more about my own experiences soon! :)

1 comment:

DocDH said...

Thanks Jessica. We have 20 spots for our class. Good luck with studying and beyond =D

Donny