Thursday, August 16, 2007

The calm before the storm... literally.

Just about a day out and I want OFF this island!!! There is so much to talk about but first of all our final exam. Due to the storm looming ahead we were given the option earlier today to take the final exam or "opt" out of it and average out 3 midterm scores to give us our final exam grade. Of course, mind you, we have no idea what we got on mini 3 yet! It was SUCH a crapshoot: do you take the average and risk what you got on mini 3 or take the final and risk being screwed because of all of these distractions?

Well I chose to take the average. I was studying but very slowly. The Weather Channel is all I could seem to watch - just watching the storm get closer and close - and of course, on the day I am suppose to leave. BUT, since I am getting out of the final, I decided to do something about it. Tomorrow, or I should say today, I am leaving at 5ish-am to go to the airport and try to get standby for a flight. The chances do not look good but I am desperate. IF I can get off this island I am good to go and should get home fast but it is very hard getting out of here and am not very optimistic about the morning. But I am praying and hoping. There are tons of people taking charter flights out of here but at 700-900 (and I have even heard of $1200!!!!) JUST to get to Puerto Rico it was just not worth it to spend that much. That is an insane amount of money just to take you 150 miles and frankly I just couldn't afford it either. But I don't think it is worth it either. Worst case I am hoping I can get out Sunday - but we will see.

If flying out tomorrow doesn't work, it looks like I will be riding out the hurricane here. I can't stay in my apartment because it is basically a death trap. Okay, it isn't that bad. My room though is exposed to the elements (on the balcony) and there are 3 big windows so I can't stay. We will have to see. I packed up most of my room (papers, pictures, etc.) and hid it away in my closet space which is a little off the ground. I am hoping nothing gets ruined!!!! I might take some pics to the airport with me, just because I am afraid of that.

Sigh, so - yet again, we will see how this goes. I miss you all and hope I can get back to you all again really soon. Getting home would just be so wonderful and I'm sure I'll cry when I see D-town again... Please keep praying and I'll see you soon.

No comments: