Monday, February 15, 2010

Step 2 CS/CK today anyone?

I wanted to spend some time talking about my research but now that I am thinking about it, since all three are currently in the process of possibly being published, I don't know if I am supposed to be talking about it? Maybe I can but I would hate to not be sure and spill the beans on something I shouldn't. I will someday soon though. So instead, I thought I would write a little bit about my Step 2 experiences :)

Well as you would probably expect since I am about to graduate, I did in fact pass both exams - and what would you know - first time around, lol just kidding, some COMP humor :P I decided to take my CS in Chicago of April 2009 pretty much right after I stopped posting when I finished my ER month in Saginaw. I have to say again that ER was the absolute best rotation to do before this exam. This exam consisted of 12 patients (6 in the first session, 6 in the last) to do H&Ps on, write up notes and forumulate a plan. Each encounter got 25 minutes, 15 for the interview and physical exam and 10 minutes after to write up your note. You can choose to write or type your note and I thought that I would type because I type faster than I can write. After some thought, I decided to write it out as I realized that I could not type out any symbols or shorthand. I chose the right way for me though and glad I did because once you choose a way to do your note you cannot change it.

I am not gonna lie, all of my encounters took abotu 10 minutes. They give you a 5 minute warning but I took that as pretty much "time's up" so I could have extra time to work on my note. The cases are really not that difficult. You know what it is pretty much immediately on most cases, it is just that you ask the correct questions, do the correct examinations and provide a workup plan for the patient. If you forget to drape or shake hands a few times - you will NOT fail, lol. Alot of people freaked out about making small mistakes, it happens to everyone including me. I forgot to drape the patient and wash my hands on my first case. I probably did some exam maneuvers wrong but really at the end of the day, I knew I passed. The First Aid for Step 2 CS was a great book for this, especially the cases in the back.

You get 8 hours to complete this exam lunch provided and all. Really by the time you get to this point to take the test, you have interviewed a great number of patients and it truly feels like another day in the office! They are great actors too. Everyone gets nervous too but believe me, it fades down after just a couple enounters - if that. Overall it was a good experience (except for the $1200 cost) and felt great about it afterwards.

After this I went onto radiology for two weeks which I had written about then onto pediatrics and IM. Again, I am very glad my IM rotation was before my Step 2 CK exam on September 29th, 2009. I will be honest, I was exhausted by this time. 3rd year finished, some of 4th year done, just got done planning a wedding and getting married - I did study but honestly just wanted to pass and be done with it. Pretty much how that turned out. I was pretty big on my First Aid book but moreso USMLEWorld questions. The day was just like Step 1, I went to the same place to take this exam but really just was ready to get in and take it. I believe I did my first 2 blocks then a break, blocks 3 and 4 then a break and a break between the rest of the 4 (yes, there is an extra block in this one). I thought it went fine though wasn't thrilled at how I did and was so exhausted of worrying, I really didn't leave crying this time or think about me failing. I actually think Tony, my folks and I went straight to the bar! Anyway, time went on and I found that I passed with a 191/78. More of a sigh of relief than celebration, lol but even looking back on it - well, whatever it is over and I am just fine with that! Granted, I didn't blow away my interviewers with my scores but honestly, they didn't have any questions about it and were quite happy with the rest of my entire application - so I really was not kicking myself about it at all. I did what I could do but know for sure this had no bearing on the physician I would become. If you would ask the staff, residents and attendings I know that most have been extremely impressed by my workups, eagerness to learn and study on my own as well as the patients' own perception of me as a future health care provider. While this will most likely be my next post, my interviews went over so well that I never looked back wishing I had done something different with my time. During all of this craziness, I had found my balance and while I probably sacrificed some of my score to do everything else that was going on in my life - it was worth it. While I can in no way gloat about my scores I can't complain about how great my life was in spite of it :)! Life as I knew it did not end and I was still moving on - and with research on my way after my IM rotation - some much needed stress-free time and especially time to recharge my batteries and enthusiasm to continue on to finish my last year.

Overall, I will say these tests are just a way of sizing you up with other candidates but it in no way exempts you from other things you may lack. Of course, if you score in the top 5% of students and have no personality, yes you might get away with it but someday, when I am a patient with some illness in my ripe old age - I'd rather have someone dedicated to their practice with a personality to connect to than someone who does nothing but pride themselves for the rest of their career about a piddly test they took "x" years ago with nothing in their personality but the God complex. Granted this is an extreme example but believe me even a little arrogance goes a long way in this type of physician. Kinda went off a little but it is my blog so that makes it ok, haha!

Well, GI has some long days and being Monday I feel the need to put my feet up and relax with the hubs until bed. I think I will talk about this year's lovely interview season next! What a wonderful one it was :)! I'll catch you on the flip side ;)...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you think you were taking a risk only applying to one city/state since your board scores were not that high. If I remember correctly 201 on step1 and 191 on step 2. You still managed to get 8 interviews which is freakin awesome, but you rejected 2 leaving you with only 6 options. Kinda seems like you are playing with fire to me imho. But it does seem that the whole "caribbean students don't get many interview unless that have outstanding scores" is false. Comparing yourself with your friends do you think everybody is getting a good number of interviews coming from ross?

Anonymous said...

Ah, This is exactly what I was looking for! Clarifies
several misnomers I've seen

Anonymous said...

I understand where jess is coming from. After so many years being away and moving around, I'd rather stay close to home too.

It is a risk, and it is a gamble but I guess at this point, it is a risk that is worth taking to be close to home :) I hope you match close to home, Jess!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Inspiring Story..shows that you don't have to get >90s to get a residency :)..Character and Perseverance pays off

Anonymous said...

We're a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You have done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

Feel free to surf to my webpage ... currency trading *http://www.cucumberkids.com.au*