Sunday, February 14, 2010

Going back in time (again) - 2nd/3rd month IM rotation

Wow, three days in a row - I'm on a roll! Actually, I kinda want to get these posts up so I can begin writing more about current things, such as the match, interviews and preparation for residency! I spent a little of my day reading back on some older posts and cannot believe some of the things I got through and how much it really took to get where I am today... I am still trying to get these things in perspective because finally I am starting to feel that as I am making my way down to the last eight weeks of rotations that I am - gasp - maybe a little bit proud of myself.

My second month consisted of a general medicine floor. Basically, it worked the same as the heme/onc floor with calls and such but the turnover was much faster, with patients staying only 2-3 days compared to a week to two from the month before. This meant more H&Ps, workups, presentations and more. It was nice to experience a fast-paced floor as it would be once residency begins. Again this wasn't a sub-I for me but I still wanted to do as much as I could. We had a guy doing his sub-I in our group but really didn't see it much different from what I was doing. The main difference is that you are in charge of your patients and your note actually "counts" legally. I am telling you though that you can act as a sub-I, even if you aren't. Just like I said from the month before, just get involved. If you are there to work just keep asking to do things. If a new consult comes in, just take it work them up. If orders need to be written, do so. If consult calls have to be made, offer to do it. Literally these things take minutes, lol. But it really shows initiative. Anyway, that is my little rant on that!

During each month, our attendings would change at least once to round with which made it a little challenging as they all had their own styles as to how they liked things presented. But as rotations go on, you get used to listening as a resident presents another patient to the attending and seeing if the attending has criticism or praises afterwards. The order always the same but just the amount of information they really want varies. I had a very nice team again though. Of course, my intern rocked and we had a great time - even during calls! One call though was the night before my bachelorette party and yes, it was an overnight call. This team was more into me being involved all throughout the night but that night they were kind and let me sleep a bit :). It was a bit funny as my senior and three residents and sub-I on the floor were all guys. It was me and 5 guys sleeping/hanging in one room together, lol. Anyway, it was a good month. Full of the usual chief complaints but definitely learned alot.

My final month consisted of outpatient clinic work. I was set up for 8 sessions a week (a session being a 4 hour period, so Monday-Thursday all day). It was nice because my main preceptor allowed me to set up my own hours since I had just gotten married and I was preparing for my Step 2 CK exam. It was great exposure to working with appointments and such but as you can expect it was alot of clinic a week, lol. It was nice being around the same 4-5 attendings and getting exposure to their styles.

Luckily, throughout my time in heme/onc, I met some great fellows who connected me into their research department. I was able to secure a couple of elective months to doing solely research Sepember-November! It was very nice as I was able to connect to their CarePlus system from home and be there to take on more of a wifely role for a while. I really enjoyed that time. While I will end up writing about this most likely a little in my next entry, it led into the holidays which I took off December for our fabulous Hawaiian honeymood and to enjoy with family and friends. See? We are slowly catching up on things! :) We will be to the present in no time and I have spared you from many "oh woe is me" posts, lol! All there is after that is my pulmonology month and this gastrointestinal month. Just to tell you that as my first two weeks were more general GI consults the next two weeks will be hepatology, of which I am super excited to learn about!

I hope you all have a Happy Valentine's Day! We don't celebrate it much but I was actually sent flowers, chocolates and a new teddy ('Lil Tone, after my first teddy Tony Bear, haha!) to the hospital but after a crazy mix up, I never got them, someone else did and took them home only to call ProFlowers.com to tell them of the mistake. I think that they just didn't know who I was since I was only on the floor once in a while over these past two weeks. They told the lady to keep the stuff and they would resend it out the stuff Monday. So I ended up calling them to get it delivered here today and they surely did - yay! Anyway, while Tony was upset it was no longer a surprise, I am now sitting in my robe eating chocolates and watching tv :). This is the life!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That won`t do!
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:buy levitra professional online nbr

Anonymous said...

you are on a roll, keep them coming. loving it.

Robert Vetter said...

I hope you will continue with your blog.My son-in law has just left Saginau and is getting ready for step 1 exam in March.Reading your blog gives me a little insight into what he is going through.

Dr. Jessica, M.D. said...

Thanks so much everyone! I'm feeling acutally better now that I am back into it :) Congrats on your son-in-law finishing 5th! I hope he had a good experience! :) If he ever has questions, just tell him to feel free to ask anytime!