Monday, September 01, 2008

Back in Saginaw...

So, the journey continues. I am finally feeling quite settled in now and only awaiting the cable to be hooked up this week, which I am getting along fine without. It is so much different than the last time I was here. Last time, I was in a hotel two doors down from a friend to hang with and now I am in a pretty big apartment - alone. It is so quiet and it feels too big of a space for one person to have. Just have that lonely feeling creeping up on me again which I cannot stand. Sigh... On the up-side though, I had a wonderful Labor Day weekend at home with Tony and Maggie and miss them already. I even got to buy my wedding dress! YAYY! It is so beautiful and I just fell in love with it so long ago (found it while I was still on the island, haha). So now 3 things are down: church, reception hall and a dress! But alas after the weekend, it was time to head back. Maggie watched me pull out of the driveway again (getting used to the routine that mommy has to go away again) and ran after my car and jumped up to the window to give me kisses. Next time I see her she will be already fixed and probably in some pain which makes me sad I won't be there to take her in but at least I will be there by the time she checks out of the vet.

My apartment here though is very nice and fully furnished with towels, sheets - even silverware, pots and pans. Very easy transition, which is nice considering each time I do this "moving" business I grow bitter and am finding myself exhausted emotionally. All I keep hoping is that this will all be worth it. It's funny how on the island it seemed that it was flying by. I mean, it still does but now it is beginning a whole new chapter to medical school and I can't help but feel like it may never come to an end and I will never be permanently home. I'm exaggerating as I know I will be soon (hopefully only having to do my 3rd year away) but this process just feels so much longer than I anticipated. I can't imagine doing this schooling only if it was because my parents wanted me to go into medicine or only because my relatives were docs before me - without that passion, I know I would probably have stopped a long time ago. I just feel in the thick of it now and I guess that is better than starting from scratch. Soon enough I will be leaving the deep end and coming back to shallower waters where I can finally find my footing again - hopefully enough to walk those things on home, haha.

Anyway, so last week was our orientation to Synergy Medical Eduation Alliance, which I had already done in 5th. No real big deal at all but now since the long weekend is over, it is time to do my clerkship orientation - psychiatry. They said to dress for clinic so I am not sure if it means that we will be starting immediately or what but I have been trying to do some reading to get refreshed in psych. Nothing else much to do here anyway. Soooo, I guess that is my major news for now and I will let you all know how my 1st day of my second rotation goes! Just a hunch but I do think I will enjoy psychiatry alot - let's hope that is true!

No comments: