Saturday, August 09, 2008

Long, long overdue...

Gosh, I don't know what else to say but I'm sorry for the long delay! I'm sure you know how busy I am but I didn't want to hold off blogging for this long, oy! Things are going amazing. I am enjoying my FM rotation very much. It isn't the exact hours I have said before, as now I am staying longer for charting and such - but I don't mind it at all. All in all, I think I am there around 50ish hours at most.

Truth be told, I am just so drained by the end of the day, I haven't felt like reliving it after again. The experience though has been wonderful and I am not being worked like a dog either. I find myself eager to stay longer, work harder and help in any way I can. Let's see... What have I done in this rotation. Alot! I see just about all patients before my preceptor. I interview, examine, present the patient and go in with my preceptor to wrap up the visit. As far as procedures go? I have been so lucky! I have been able to do countless injections of antibiotics, vitamins, vaccines, TB tests, allergy shots, etc. (one of which led to an anaphylactic reaction - a story for another day, lol - not my fault as no one knew she had an allergy to the medication but I freaked out a bit inside). I've done breast exams and paps, where my preceptor begins with the spec but we swap seats so I can take the cultures, remove the spec and perform the bimanual if the patient allows (which hasn't happened alot but I am confortable with it). As far as rectals, not something I am dying to get the experience of, but if asked - I'll dig in lol. I've been able to take rapid Strep cultures and probably the biggest of all been able to do hemangioma/mole removals. With my preceptor aiding me along the way, I have done it from anesthesia to cautery, and they have all been on the neck (not that I am worrying of nicking an artery with my scapal!). Of course, that would happen with the right technique but that though went through my mind with my first removal.

Even besides this, doing the H&Ps have been the most beneficial to me. I am getting very comfortable in my interviews and know with each rotation there will be new avenues to learn. My rotation ends next Friday and I have just enjoyed it so much. I know this rotation will probably be the most patient contact that I might get to have and I know that primary care will probably be where I'll end up. I just love interaction with my patients and I have gotten such warm responses from them. When I come in with my preceptor, there have been so many times where they complement my style and comment on what a great physician I will be someday. It just means alot to hear that and gives me that extra drive.

I really hope I didn't turn people off to my blog as I know that it has been lacking but hopefully I can post more before this rotation is up. Psych is up next starting September 2nd in Saginaw and I am sure there will be alot of posts during that time! But again, apologies for my laziness and I hope you all stay tuned as the journey continues! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

comp advice please jessica...
help!
lol

DocDH said...

jessica, which FP rotation are you doing? It sounds really good.