Monday, March 31, 2008

Is it all about attitude?

So here I am studying as usual and going over my first practice exam. Mind you that I am not looking at the answers (NBME is hard to find them) but looking at my 2nd set of 50. Why didn't I do better? The questions were NOT that hard! I have to preface this by saying that my road to finding a good study strategy is ever winding. I always change it up and it seems to suit me. But before I took my first practice exam I was stressing, anxious and worried. After, I got my first glimpse of where I stood and it calmed me a bit and let me re-evaluate what I should be doing, even though the score was not what I was aiming for at all.

My next exam will be in a few days and I can't help but think that attitude has so much to do with it. I am very good at putting myself down as I am sure some of my classmates can attest to - I could always do better, easily disappointed and comparing myself constantly. Lately though, I am finding more confidence and am interested to know if this plays a role in my performance on practice tests. What do you think? I am always so admirable of others who just have that confidence. I try to say that I have it but as I am told, if you don't believe it - it won't happen. So does that mean if I do believe it, then it will? That is hard for me to believe, but if it does - I believe that one day I will have the perfect balance of work and home - I believe I will be a millionaire - I believe... Okay, I think I have made my point. But to me, it takes more than just believing it. I am traditionally a B+ student and always have been (post-high school that is - man I miss those high school As!), but I am completely fine with that. I have always been that way and I feel that where I lack in my GPA I make up for in other ways quite well. So why with this belief in myself can I jump in my exam scores?

The only thing I can come up with is that this belief in myself will lead me to think more positively, work harder than I thought I could and in turn produce a higher score. So it is time to wear that hat I guess, or permenantly bobby pin it to my head! I will keep holding onto that and see how my next NBME run-around turns out!

So here it goes... I believe I will get a good score!!!

No comments: